Decided to move a few miles down river when it warms up. We are going with uncovered slip due to cheaper cost and a covered slip did the damage originally.
Our Trawler had major upgrades in 2005. At that time she received state of the art electronics. But today, those electronics are dated. With the removal of the fly bridge when she came up from Tennessee, the wiring was in quite a state. I have slowly been removing old electronics and making way for the core NMEA 2000 based system. My first component is a garmin 7607xsv.
In addition, I will use the two Raymarine radios that seem to be ok. In Addition, I got the ST50 depth sounder to work.
After struggling with flashlights in a very cold engine room for two months, I’ve upgraded some of the engine room lighting.
When I got the boat, there was a fore and aft light in the engine room. The aft was broken, but the forward working briefly. These were original (I think) and I decided to move up to LED lights. I wired two new LED to port and starboard on the forward side of the engine. During wiring, I found the wiring was tied to the “horn” circuit and not the engine room light. This is just the beginning of a wiring adventure based on the number of “upgrades” done by the previous owners.
I will be fixing the aft light with parts from the removed forward light at a future date.
Here are some before and after shots of the engine room.
One of the things damaged was the mast. Luckily all repairable except for the wooden spreader, but i should be able to remake that part. The boom was snapped in two, also wood. I really do not want to go aluminum so I need to find a spar company that can fix or make me one.
My mast is wood (painted). 146″ tall. Square in base (5″) then rounded down to 3″ at top.
Ford Lehman 120HP Diesel Inboard
Direct Drive Engine (6,025 Hrs),
(2.5 to 3 gallons/hour Fuel Efficiency!)
7.5 Kw Onan Diesel Generator (778 Hrs),
2 Staterooms w/Ensuite Heads,
plus convertible Dinette (sleeps 6),
Dual Helm, Flybridge Canvas Enclosure,
Vetus Bow Thruster, 2500Watt Inverter,
Raytheon GPS, Chartplotter, Autopilot, Radar, & VHF Radios, Electric Windlass,
Marine Heat/Air (17,000 BTU),
Gas Oven/Range, 12v/110v Refrigerator,
Fuel Tanks Replaced, Decks & Cabin Top replaced & re-fiberglassed,
& Entire Boat Painted (2004-2005),
34’ LOA, 11’9” Beam, Draft 3’6”,
Now the fun of making and prioritizing the fix-it and upgrade-it list. Some of key items:
Hmmm. Typing it makes list look too long.
Surprise!! We have a new trawler. It was a bit of a surprise to use as well. I was actually looking a small trailer-able boat just to get us back on the water when hopefully “luck” happened. I mentioned to the seller (owner of a marina and campground) that we ultimately wanted a trawler. He maid the mistake of mentioning he got one early in the year and he was doing some repairs.
We got to talking and I asked if was for sale. He said not really, but would consider.
Well, several phone calls and visits, we know have the deposit on our trawler.
There is more to the story, but for now, he she was before the “incident”. More to come.