Barb, I and most likely Ray V will be figuring this out over the weekend. After our longest cruise to date (3 hr) last weekend and Barb’s resulting sunburn, we decided to accelerate that on the “Fix It List”. Thanks to Sailrite.com, we will be receiving many parts via UPS today. We wont have to bend any bows or corners, just cut and pop rivet. We have all the canvas from the original full enclosure, but the frames did not survive the collapse. The biggest challenge will be getting it just right so all the side pieces will fit (not that we will use right away, but don’t want prevent us from using in the future).
This is the before, let’s see how the “To Be” ends up looking…..
Front Railings repaired by the Wooden Boat Shop in Cincinnati (http://woodenboatshop.com/). Great work by Butch to repair the busted rails. Finishing almost done on the rest of lower railings
Here is an update on the railing mock ups. It was 17 degrees so didn’t spend too much time on the icy boat. I am down to fitting some spacers where I needed to use stock angled bases vs the custom welded that was on the boat. The railings are 1″ stainless with stock fittings. Some of the mounting blocks are damaged but will need to wait for warm weather.
One of the things damaged was the mast. Luckily all repairable except for the wooden spreader, but i should be able to remake that part. The boom was snapped in two, also wood. I really do not want to go aluminum so I need to find a spar company that can fix or make me one.
My mast is wood (painted). 146″ tall. Square in base (5″) then rounded down to 3″ at top.
Now the fun of making and prioritizing the fix-it and upgrade-it list. Some of key items:
- Wind screen, needs new lexan or plexi
- Railing needs fix or replace
- Teak hand rails, need repair
- Canvas, reinstalled if I can find or replace
- Bimini. I think we have canvas, needs frame.
- Railings need repair/replace
- Mast needs repair and boom replaced
- Bow rail fix/replace
- Fiberglass fix right below flybridge
- Center window glass replace
- Still need to sort out what is worth keeping.
- Most likely radios stay and I start building new system around current Multi function chart plotter.
Hmmm. Typing it makes list look too long.