Our First Lighted Boat Parade – July 4th

What we learned from out first lighted boat parade:

1. You can never have enough lights.
2. You need to get too close for Barb’s comfort to the 65′ boat in front.
3. The little “go fast” boats that want follow and dart in between are annoying and should be sunk (joking?)
4. A little 18′ can win when it dresses up light a sailboat.
5. I really do not like finishing out of top 3
6. We need a MUCH BIGGER horn  (and maybe a signal cannon)
7. Red, White and blue makes Purple. Need more white lights.
8. Our generator can run for a couple hours (had not run that long yet)
9. People really really liked Bill’s boat (he came in #2)
10. Going to start shopping for more lights for next year.

How to Rebuild A Bimini Frame

Barb, I and most likely Ray V will be figuring this out over the weekend.  After our longest cruise to date (3 hr) last weekend and Barb’s resulting sunburn, we decided to accelerate that on the “Fix It List”.  Thanks to Sailrite.com, we will be receiving many parts via UPS today.  We wont have to bend any bows or corners, just cut and pop rivet.  We have all the canvas from the original full enclosure, but the frames did not survive the collapse.  The biggest challenge will be getting it just right so all the side pieces will fit (not that we will use right away, but don’t want prevent us from using in the future).

This is the before, let’s see how the “To Be” ends up looking…..

IMG_0014

Mast Repair

Started another project this week, Mast Repair. Being the tallest thing on the trawler, the mast took quite a hit when the slip roof collapsed. When I got the boat, pieces of radar, lights, etc. where zip tied and hanging off the mast. Some pieces of wood had been epoxied back and the boom was in two pieces. The spreader (solid teak or mahogany) was in two pieces.

For the spreader, I decided to skip the wood and fabricated two pieces of 3/4″ starboard. I found out AFTER I started, that you can’t glue starboard, so the two layers are screwed together. Here are some before and after.

 

Here is the current progress:

IMG_2627